From savoring produce at the peak of freshness to meeting the people who grow your food, there are countless reasons to support farmers markets. Here are just a few!
1. Taste Real Flavors The fruits and vegetables you buy at the Madison County Farmers Market (MCFM) are the freshest and tastiest available. Vegetables and fruits are allowed to ripen fully in the field and are brought directly to you, no long-distance shipping, no gassing to simulate the ripening process, no sitting for weeks in storage. This food is as real as it gets, fresh from the farm.
2. Enjoy the Season The food you buy at the MCFM is seasonal. It is fresh and delicious and reflects the truest flavors. Shopping and cooking from the market helps you to reconnect with the cycles of nature in the Commonwealth of Kentucky. As you look forward to mixed greens in spring, savor sweet corn in summer, or bake pumpkins in autumn, you reconnect with the earth, the weather, and the turning of the year.
3. Support Family Farmers The MCFM family farmers need your support. Now that large agribusiness dominates food production in the U.S., small family farms have a hard time competing in the food marketplace. Buying directly from the MCFM vendors gives them a better return for their produce and gives them a fighting chance in today’s economy.
4. Protect the Environment Food in the U.S. travels an average of 1,500 miles to get to your plate. All this shipping uses large amounts of natural resources (especially fossil fuels), contributes to pollution, and creates trash from extra packaging. Food at the MCFM is transported shorter distances and is grown using methods that minimize the impact on the earth.
5. Nourish Yourself Much of the food found in grocery stores is exceedingly processed and grown using pesticides, hormones, antibiotics, and genetic modification. Some of it has been irradiated, waxed, or gassed in transit. These practices often have negative effects on human health. In contrast, the foods found at the MCFM is minimally processed, and our farmers go to great lengths to grow the most nutritious produce possible by using sustainable techniques, picking produce right before market, and growing heirloom varieties.
6. Discover the Spice of Life: Variety At the MCFM you will find an amazing array of produce not seen in area grocery stores: red carrots, a rainbow of heirloom tomatoes, purple cauliflower, green garlic, watermelon radishes, quail eggs, sweet Italian peppers, and much, much more. Shopping at the MCFM offers you a wonderful opportunity to savor the biodiversity of Kentucky.
7. Promote Humane Treatment of Animals At the MCFM, you will find meats, cheeses, and eggs from animals raised without hormones or antibiotics, who have grazed on green grass and eaten natural diets, and who have been spared the cramped and unnatural living conditions of feedlots and cages typical of animal agriculture.
8. Know Where Your Food Comes From Your weekly trip to the MCFM is one of the best ways to connect with the suppliers of your food. Meeting and talking to farmers and food artisans is a great opportunity to learn more about how and where food is produced.
9. Learn Cooking Tips, Recipes, and Meal Ideas Few grocery store cashiers or produce stockers will give you tips on how to cook the ingredients you buy, but the vendors of the MCFM are passionate cooks with plenty of free advice about how to cook the foods they are selling.
10. Connect with Your Community Wouldn’t you rather stroll amidst stalls of fresh produce on a wintery morning or sunny afternoon than roll your cart around a grocery store? Coming to the farmers market makes shopping a pleasure rather than a chore. The farmers market is a community hub, a place to meet up with your friends, bring your children, or just get a taste of small - town America, where farming is still considered a way-of-life by our vendors.
Stay informed on MCFM updates, produce availability and upcoming market schedules through our Facebook page
2019 LOWE's SUMMER MARKET
Market Open Every Saturday May 18th - October 12th 9AM - 1PM
Lowe's Parking Lot 814 Eastern Bypass Richmond, KY 40475 (Goggle Map)
2019 EKU SUMMER MARKET
Market Open Every Thursday May 30 - August 8th 9AM - 1PM
EKU Alumni Coliseum Parking Lot 641 Eastern Bypass Richmond, KY 40475 (Google Map)
2019 FALL MARKET
Market Open Every Thursday August 15th - October 10th